The naming of Harley House is significant. By the 1923, when it was
built, Collins Street had become the favoured address of highly regarded
(that is if their fees were a measure of the regard in which they were held)
doctors, in a similar fashion to Macquarie Street Sydney and, importantly,
Harley Street London.
The name Harley House was therefore intended to 'brand' the location and,
in particular, to attract the sort of medical tenants who were prepared to
pay for that branding
The restrained Georgian Revival style of the architecture was regarded at
the time as being appropriate to the branding style the building was
attempting to create, and its later neighbours of the Former Bank of
Australia and Athenaeum Club match it's height and Georgian style.
Harley House was designed by Sydney Smith Ogg & Serpel.